Friday 18 November 2011

Peer pressure

Ok so this weeks rant blog is about Peer Pressure. I am blessed with two gorgeous children for whom I would happily lay my life down. However, it seems I cannot protect them from the words and statements their ‘peers’ (and I use the term loosely) quote. My eldest is a 10 year old boy and for some reason I thought Peer Pressure wouldn’t be so bad for a boy. Oh was I wrong.

Within his circle of associates (he has an active social life) the usual comments of “those trainers aren’t (add some trendy name)”, “your parents are fat” and “we’ve been to Disney Land” I can usually answer. However, when the chosen subject is similar to “you haven’t got a six-pack” I start to worry. These boys are 10 for goodness sake and they’re already concerned about body image!

Even at the tender age of 4, my youngest son is comparing his scooter to other children’s scooters in his class. Does it have 2, 3 or 4 wheels? Does it rotate 360o or a measly 180o?

I was listening Chris Moyles on BBC Radio 1 last week and he too was talking about peer pressure and how he has always managed to stay on lager whilst others are downing tequila.

If my children are concerned with peer pressure already, how are they going to cope when it involves their health such as drink, drugs and alcohol? I can only hope by constantly striving to set a good example and building their own self-esteem, they will have the courage to ignore the peer pressure.

Thanks for listening to my ‘chuntering’. How do you cope with any peer pressure which affects you or your children? Let me know in the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment